Reef Check Foundation
Reef Check is a non-profit organization leading citizen scientists to promote stewardship of sustainable reef communities worldwide. Founded in 1996, the Reef Check Foundation is an international organization dedicated to the conservation of tropical coral reefs and temperate kelp forests. With offices in Los Angeles and Santa Cruz, California, and volunteer teams in more than 40 countries and territories, Reef Check’s mission is to lead citizen scientists who promote stewardship of sustainable reef communities around the globe.
Here at SORCE we are a Reef Check Indonesia partner, and as such we regularly conduct surveys on a number of long-terms monitoring sites within GITA NADA Marine Park. We also have our very own Reef Check Instructor onsite ready to train new Reef Check Eco-Divers so that you too can join this global reef health monitoring program.
Reef Check Eco-Diver Course
Did you ever dream of becoming a marine biologist? The Reef Check Eco-Diver program combines education with action to give scuba diver volunteers a unique experience while taking an active role in conserving the world’s reefs. The Eco-Diver program allows participants the rare opportunity to work with teams of scientists around the globe to combat the crises affecting our reefs today. The world’s reefs are changing fast, and it is up to us to ensure that reefs are around for future generations.
The world recognized Reef Check Eco-Diver certificate is a comprehensive training course in survey techniques for monitoring coral reef health using standardised methodologies. The course consists of theoretical, practical, diving and examined components, carried out over 4 days.
Duration: 4 Days
- Day 1: Theory – Reef Check methods and background lecture. Survey methodologies lecture and workshop.
- Day 2: Fish & Invertebrate Identification lectures and workshops with ID scuba dive, followed by exams 1 and 2.
- Day 3: Coral Substrates & Impacts Identification workshop with ID dive, followed by exam 3.
- Day 4 – Survey methods review followed by complete Reef Check survey dive. Introduction to the Reef Check Database and logging data.
- All Reef Check Eco-Diver Lectures, Workshops and Examinations
- 2 Training Dives
- 1 Survey Dive
- Scuba Equipment Rental for Training and Survey Dives
- Reef Check Certification Fee
- Reef Check E-Kit (including all course materials, manual and data sheet templates)
- Complementary Water, Tea & Coffee
- You must hold a PADI Open Water Dive Certificate or equivalent
- You must be a minimum of 18 years of age
Tuition Fee: Rp.5.000.000
If you are interested in booking onto our Reef Check Eco-Diver course please contact us to find out about availability and course dates.
Click below to discover other ways to get involved